About Terry Wimmer
Teaches reporting classes and works with students on Arizona-Sonora News Service, which offers readers and media outlets the best journalism being produced by students in the UA School of Journalism. He was part of a team that won the Pulitzer Prize while working as an editor at the Orange County Register.
- • B.A., West Virginia University;
- • Ph.D., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Courses Taught at the UA
- • J 306 Advanced Reporting
- • J 490A/590A Tombstone Epitaph
- • J 506 Intro & Advanced Reporting
Publications and Research
- • "Correct This! A Content Analysis of 2003 Corrections Claimed by The New York Times," Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication, 2004.
- • "Teaching Freedom of Information," Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication, 2004.
- • "Sustained Outrage: Ned Chilton's Philosophy for Social Change and Responsibility that Graced an Era in West Virginia Journalism," American Journalism Historians Association, 1999.
- • "Killing Physicians with Fighting Words: A Free-Speech Challenge to Internet Community Building," Communication Technology and Policy Division, Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication, 1999.
- • "Captured Conversations: The Media's Romanticized Version of the Telephone Party Line," History Division, Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication, 1999.
Past Academic Positions
- • Shott Chair in Journalism, West Virginia University, 2000 - 2006
- • Atwood Professor of Journalism, University of Alaska, 1996 - 1997
- • Visiting Professor, Federal University of Espirito Santo, Vitoria, Brazil, 1984
Past Professional Positions
- • Online Editor, Orange County Register, 1997 - 1998
- • Health/Technology Editor, Orange County Register, 1994 - 1996
- • Night Editor, Orange County Register, 1989 - 1994
- • Assigning Editor, Orange County Register, 1986 - 1989
- • Executive Sports Editor, Charleston (W.Va.) Gazette, 1984 - 1986
- • Assistant City Editor, Charleston (W.Va.) Gazette, 1980 - 1984
- • Reporter, Charleston (W.Va.) Gazette, 1976 - 1980
- • Hugh and Jan Harelson Excellence in Teaching Award, UA School of Journalism, 2012
- • Roger Peabody Prize by the American Civil Liberties Union for championing First Amendment rights, 2003
- • Induction into the Academy of Distinguished Alumni, West Virginia University, 1998
- • West Virginia University School of Journalism Alumnus of the Year, 1997
- • Mercer County Schools Academic Hall of Fame, 1997
- • Pulitzer Prize for Investigative Reporting (led a team that uncovered abuses at a fertility clinic), Orange County Register, 1996
- • Investigative Reporters Best of Best Award, 1996
- • National Headliners Award, 1996
- • George Polk Award for Outstanding Medical Reporting, 1996
- • Roy Howard Award for Public Service Journalism, 1996
- • Freedom Communications Associate of the Year, 1996
- • Society of Professional Journalists, first place, deadline reporting, 1994
- • Freedom Communications Associate of the Year, 1994
- • Orange County Register Editor of the Year, 1989