Tuition, Fees and Financial Aid

Why you should consider a graduate degree

If you are trying to decide whether the cost of a graduate degree is worth it, follow this link to see just how valuable it can be.

Tuition and fees

Tuition and fees for Spring 2018 came to about $7,100 for a typical nine-unit semester for Arizona residents. Tuition and fees for non-residents totaled about $17,280. To calculate those numbers, click here. These costs are well below average for our peer institutions.

Maintaining a professionally oriented graduate journalism program involves instructional costs well beyond those required for traditional academic units. The school maintains sophisticated video and audio equipment and specialized computer hardware and software. It requires a number of faculty members and media technology specialists to teach core courses with small enrollments.

For that reason, the school charges students a program fee of $100 per credit hour. We distribute 17 percent of the program fees to students with demonstrated financial need.

Fellowships, grants and scholarships

The School of Journalism has needs-based and merit-based scholarships funded by endowments, professional organizations and individual donors. In addition to the school's resources, UA's Graduate College funds several types of financial aid. Many of our current students receive help from the school, the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences or independent organizations.

Fellowships, grants and scholarships are available from a variety of sources. Be sure to see the Gradfunding Newsletter listed there.

The UA Graduate College's Graduate Access Fellowship is intended to broaden the access of U.S. students to graduate education and to promote the diversity of our graduate student body. Eligibility for these fellowships is restricted to incoming domestic graduate students who have shown academic achievement despite facing challenging social, economic or educational obstacles. Fellowships for master's students provide up to $4,000. NOTE: Students cannot apply directly for a Graduate Access Fellowship. Only departments can nominate incoming students to the Graduate College. Please let Debbie Cross know if you qualify for a Graduate Access Fellowship.

Each year the School of Journalism awards the John Peter and Anna Catherine Zenger Fellowship to an incoming master’s student in recognition of academic achievement and potential. The fellowship covers the student’s in-state tuition, mandatory fees and program fees up to 12 units per semester for the first academic year. This initial academic support level continues for the second academic year, contingent upon satisfactory academic progress, good standing in the school/university and the continued availability of funding. The Zenger Fellow must be a full-time student taking at least 9 units each semester. In addition, the fellow must sign up for 1 to 3 units of independent study each semester with a professor in the School of Journalism. This special opportunity allows the student to work on an in-depth project, help a faculty member with research, develop a digital media product or work on another type of journalistic endeavor.

The university offers other fellowships and scholarships to foster a diverse student body.

Taylor/Blakeslee University Fellowships are available for students "who have been accepted for enrollment in graduate-level programs in science writing.”

The American Association of University Women's Career Development Grants program provides funding to women who hold a bachelor’s degree and are preparing to advance or change their careers or re-enter the workforce. Grants of up to $12,000 will be awarded to provide support for course work beyond a bachelor’s degree, including a master's degree, second bachelor’s degree, certification program, or specialized training in a technical or professional field. See the AAUW website for complete program guidelines, profiles of grant recipients from previous years and application instructions:…/career-development-g…/cdg-application/


The School of Journalism does not offer teaching assistantships, research assistantships or graduate assistantships. To apply for a graduate assistantship, contact the department where you would like to work to see if there are any openings. For academic departments, the best contact is usually the graduate coordinator. For non-academic departments, start with the business manager. There is no complete listing of available positions, although some are listed on the Wildcat Joblink through Career Services.


The Arizona Daily Wildcat, UA’s student newspaper, runs ads for jobs.

The Wildcat Student Employment Fair is held every August to hire UA students for the upcoming academic year. Students are invited to attend via listservs and Arizona Daily Wildcat ads. Students can access a list of participating departments and organizations via the Career Services website before the fair begins. Dozens of UA departments participate, as do local businesses interested in hiring students.

FLAS (Foreign Language and Area Studies)

Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Academic Year and Summer fellowships are awarded annually in Arabic, Hebrew, Persian, and Turkish to undergraduate and graduate students at the University of Arizona in any program/department who are pursuing Middle Eastern language and area studies. Funding is provided by the U.S. Department of Education, and awards are made through the Center for Middle Eastern Studies (CMES).

The Center for Latin American Studies (CLAS) offers both Summer and Academic Year FLAS Fellowships to support the study of Portuguese and indigenous languages of Latin America. For more information or to pick up an applications, stop by the Center for Latin American Studies, Harvill Building, Room 343, or contact FLAS coordinator Colin Deeds.

Want to learn more?


For more information on application and administrative questions:
Debbie Cross

For advising and curriculum questions:
Prof. Carol Schwalbe