Welcome back, students — from your J-school clubs!
Some School of Journalism clubs are reconstituting their leadership teams after many students have moved on with graduation or with internships keeping them busy. Now is an excellent time for you to get involved. Clubs are great for networking, planning activities that YOU want, building your résumé and going deeper in your career field.
A free, invitational leadership retreat and planning meeting will be held Saturday, Sept. 16 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. If you are interested in working with other students on club activities, please email Professor Susan Knight (at firstname.lastname@example.org) and let her know a little about you AND which club/s you are interested in. Also, let her know if you can attend the retreat/meeting.
For that email, please write CLUBS in the subject line, plus YOUR LAST NAME.
Please respond by Friday, Sept. 8.
Active clubs in the School of Journalism are:
- Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ)
- National Association of Hispanic Journalists (NAHJ)
- Native American Journalists Association (NAJA)
- Asian American Journalists Association (AAJA)
- National Association of Black Journalists (NABJ)
- National Press Photographers Association (NPPA)
- Sports Journalism Club (SportsJ)
- Online News Association (ONA)
- Journalism and Women Symposium (JAWS)
And a new club is being formed for first-generation college journalism students, called First Generation Journalism (FirstGen). Professor Susan Swanberg, who was a first-generation college student herself, will be advisor for the club.
Clubs cost $10 for local dues and the School of Journalism will cover your dues to join a corresponding national association, with funds from student fees.
Click here for more information on the clubs.
Join us and make it a great year for journalism at the UA!