David Cuillier’s testimony before the Senate Judiciary Committee can be viewed herehttp://www.judiciary.senate.gov/hearings/hearing.cfm?id=f00b2bec76ceca7ac77335d8aa20295e. He starts at approximately 1:24. In addition, the Arizona Republic published a story March 12 on the testimony.
Celeste González de Bustamante was invited to give a talk titled, “Silencing Mexico: Journalists in Northern Mexico,” at the Autonomous University of the State of Mexico (UAEM) in Toluca, Mexico, March 14.
Linda Lumsden will participate in the Palestine American Research Center’s 2014 Media Development Seminar in Jerusalem and the West Bank June 3-16. She is among 10 to 12 U.S. journalism/media faculty members PARC chose to participate in the seminar, which includes visiting university media departments and local media outlets as well as meeting with Palestinian scholars and members of Palestinian media community, civil society and government.
Arizona Cat’s Eye won a Mark of Excellence award from the Society of Professional Journalists in the category “best all-around television newscast” for fall 2013. Jim Mitchell and Rogelio Garcia taught the course.
Several faculty members are taking part in panels at the Tucson Festival of Books March 15-16. In addition, the School of Journalism will have a booth (#111), located near the Arizona Daily Star tent. Participants include:
- “Journalism in the New West,” 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m., March 16, Koffler Room 218, Moderator: David Cuillier
- “De Grazia: The Man and the Myths,” 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m., March 16, Student Union Santa Rita Room, Author: Jim Johnson, professor emeritus
- “The Future of Elections in America - A Conversation with Dan Balz,” 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m., March 16, ILC Room 120, Moderator: Jim Nintzel
- “Conflict on the Border,” 10-11 a.m. March 15, Stevie Eller Dance Theatre, Panelist: Jeannine Relly
- “Border Wars — Near and Far,” Saturday, March 15, Modern Languages Room 350, Moderator: Mort Rosenblum