There are only a handful of new internships posted this late in the semester, but below are two new scholarships (free money!), one paid science/technology writing internship right here in Tucson, and some jobs for May grads. And don’t forget the TIPS section, especially if you freelance as a photojournalist!
But before we get to that, please remember the following VITs (Very Important Things):
- I will be teaching a 5-week, 1-unit course, JOUR 201A, this fall focused on getting internships and jobs. The competition for jobs and internships is crazy and you need to be prepared. JOUR 201A runs from Oct. 30 to Dec. 6 on Tues/Thurs from 9 to 10:15 a.m. I highly recommend taking this if you are a current freshman or sophomore. I can’t say this part enough: The competition is stiff to get internships (especially those that are paid) and even stiffer to get jobs. This class can help!
- If you have a summer or fall internship, read the attachment to this email titled SUMMER/FALL INTERNSHIP, and make sure you meet the deadlines.
- Don’t forget to check out the PR/Communications board by the Marshall bathrooms for some really good paid PR/Comm positions if you are not interested in journalism – including one with the new Storyteller firm in downtown Tucson
- The Internship Office is open most of the summer, but I will be out of the office from May 24 two stretches: May 24 – June 1 and July 4 -14. I will have little to no email availability during those breaks. Plan ahead and see me before I’m gone. Those of you in summer internships will receive instructions on deadlines for internship work long before May 24 so there will be no reason to panic that I’m out of touch.
NEW INTERNSHIP, HIRING IMMEDIATELY AT UA PAID
The Arizona Center for Accelerated Biomedical Innovation (ACABI), which is a creativity engine designed to accelerate the commercialization of biomedical technologies, is looking for a journalism intern right now. This position will start ASAP and carry over through the summer. It is PAID ($10-15/hour, depending on experience). Intern will write content for social media/website pages. This is great for any of you wanting to go into science or technology reporting. If interested, please email résumé and three writing samples to Michael Dicaro at email@example.com. Tell him you heard about the job through the School of Journalism listserv.
ProPublica is offering a number of $500 scholarships to students who want to attend the national conventions of Conferences of the National Association of Hispanic Journalists, the National Association of Black Journalists, the Asian American Journalists Association and Native American Journalists Association. All info regarding scholarship and applying is here.
The Associated Press Sports Editors are sponsoring four $1,500 tuition scholarships for collegiate sports journalists. Collegiate sportsjournalists entering their sophomore, junior or senior years in 2017 are eligible. Awards will be based on the students' journalistic work, academic record, financial need, and geography. Deadline is June 1. Include the following information in a letter of application:
- Name, address, age, phone number.
- A copy of your transcript
- A brief rundown of your financial situation, in regards to how he/she plans to pay for tuition.
- Five examples of sports journalism (usually stories but could also be sections the student has edited), using either links or PDFs.
Email all the above to Joe Sullivan, sports editor of the Boston Globe at firstname.lastname@example.org with APSE Scholarship in subject line.
NEW JOB OPENING FOR MAY GRADS
P/T Content Specialist - Editor (2)
KOLD News 13 in Tucson, Arizona has an immediate opening for 2 part-time (30 hours/week, no benefits) morning video editors. Looking for an aggressive journalist who knows how to edit. Familiarity with Edius 7.5, JVC Cameras, non-linear editing, and studio camera operation a big plus. Strong organizational and deadline skills are essential. Reach out to one of the editors below with your resume and link to your most recent work AND apply online here.
P/T Content Specialist – Studio Operations (2)
Looking for two graduates. 30 hours/week, no benefits. Successful candidate will perform traditional production assistant duties (chyron, audio, studio camera, and teleprompter) as well as newsroom duties including editing and posting to our website. This is an exciting position with great potential for upward mobility. Flexible schedule required. College Degree and/or relevant experience preferred. Reach out directly to one of the editors below with your resume and link to your most recent work.
- E.J.Junker; Asst. Content Director; KOLD/KMSB/TucsonNewsNow.com; email@example.com
- Robert Pyle; Content Operations Manager; KOLD/KMSB/TucsonNewsNow.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Scott Coleman; KOLD/KMSB/TucsonNewsNow.com; email@example.com
The Montrose Daily Press and its online companion -- www.montrosepress.com -- has an opening for sports reporter and they are looking at May graduates! The successful applicant will cover the primary news beat of Montrose, Olathe, Delta and the surrounding area. Photography and pagination skills regarded as a plus. Recent college graduates are encouraged to apply. The Montrose Daily Press is a seven-day morning daily newspaper. It is a division of Wick Communications, a family-owned multi-media company, now in its third generation, with operations in community markets in 11 states. In recent years, the Daily Press has been cited by the Colorado Press Association and by the Colorado Associated Press for general excellence and editorial excellence; photography and design, news coverage and online coverage.
The Daily Press is a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment with a commitment to community journalism. The Daily Press offers health and dental care benefits, paid vacation, a 401K retirement plan and other benefits. Montrose, Colorado is situated within minutes of a national park, national forest, and four major ski areas including Telluride Colorado. This location offers an abundance of outdoor recreation opportunities in a growing market. Send your resume and a PDF of your clips, to: Matt Lindberg, Managing Editor firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit our web site at and visit our parent company’s web site at www.wickcommunications.com.
PRIOR LISTINGS STILL TAKING APPLICATIONS
KYMA –TV/YUMA seeking anchors and reporters. PAID
Deadline: ASAP Fulltime job for May broadcast grads. News director Ernesto Romero is looking for some anchors and reporters in Yuma, Arizona. If interested, please email your résumé and a link to your reel, along with writing samples if you have them, to Ernesto Romero at email@example.com, explaining that you heard through the UA School of Journalism that he had openings.
WATE6 TV Summer Internship (Knoxville TN) UNPAID
Deadline: April 15. See link for application instructions.
AAJA INTERNSHIPS AND GRANTS – April deadlines
Please note: For all the listings in the group below, you must be a 2017 AAJA (Asian American Journalists Association) member, but you do not need to be Asian American to apply. See Celina in the front office for how to join AAJA.
- CIC/Anna Chennault Scholarship: $5,000 grant.
Deadline: Sunday, April 16. In addition to the $5,000 for school, the winner gets and travel, lodging and registration to summer AAJA conference. Details at the link above.
· Mary Quon Moy Ing Memorial Scholarship $2,000 for school expenses. Deadline: Sunday, April 16. Details at link above.
- Vincent Chin Memorial Scholarship $500 for the best essay submitted. Deadline: Sunday, April 16. See all details at link above.
- Broadcast News Internship Grants $1,000 to go toward summer internship expenses. Deadline: Sunday, April 16. Details at link above.
- Print and Online News Internship Grant $1,000 to go toward summer internship expenses. Deadline: Sunday, April 16. Details at link above
Every August, KCRW hosts the 24-Hour Radio Race: a whirlwind day of high-stakes radio making, open to all members of the broadcast community. We receive entries from radio newbies and seasoned professionals alike from all over the world. Entrants can produce solo or in teams and will have 24 HOURS to write, record, and edit a nonfiction radio story. Winners will have their pieces broadcast on KCRW’s “UnFictional” documentary program and be paid a licensing fee of $1,000. In addition winners will also receive one-year subscriptions to PRX (the Public Radio Exchange) and AIR (the Association for Independents in Radio).Additional prizes will be awarded for special achievements like the “Social Butterfly Award” and the “UnFictional Award”. This year’s Radio Race will take place on Saturday, August 19, 2017. To get on the listserv to be notified directly of all the rules and, email firstname.lastname@example.org and ask to be put on her notification list. Here’s a story by a woman won one the race in the past years, and more information on prior Races can be viewed at link above.
Deadline: Monday, May 1. The 10-month internship is based in the hockey operations department at USA Hockey’s National Team Development Program in Plymouth, Michigan, and runs from August through June 2018. For MAY GRADUATES interested in hockey operations as a career. Details at the link above.
The Knot Summer 2017 Social Media Internship PAID New York
See all details and apply at link above.
Deadline: May 16 for a June 5 start date (!) I encourage you to apply by March. All details at link above.
Chronicle of Higher Education Fall Internship PAID
Deadline: June 5, 2017. Full details at link above. Basic details: Send your application (in a single PDF) to email@example.com by noon, EST, on Monday, June 5, 2017.
If you’re freelancing as a photographer, CJR has an article on the best places for freelance photojournalists to pitch their photos.
Renée Schafer Horton, Coordinator
Internship and Career Development
School of Journalism, University of Arizona
Louise Foucar Marshall Bldg., Room 323A
Tucson, AZ 85721-0158
HOURS: Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
To make appointments, visit https://wiseadvising.arizona.edu/student and follow the prompts.