March 30, 2017
Below are internship and job opportunities, but some important announcements first:
- I will be teaching a 5-week, 1-unit course beginning this fall focused on career success in internships and jobs. It is JOUR 201A in the course catalog, and offered Tues/Thurs from 9 to 10:15 a.m. for the final five weeks of the semester (10/30 to 12/6) Beginning in 2018, this course will be a required prerequisite for everyone who gets an internship, but right now it is open to anyone. If you don’t want to live in your parents’ spare bedroom after college, I highly recommend this class. It will teach how to:
- write a winning cover letter and résumé
- use LinkedIn for internship/job search and networking
- build a personal internship career ladder to help land a job
- do effective internship/job searches
- navigate online applicant tracking systems and succeed in an internships/job
- develop a Plan B if you your dream job doesn’t come through
- and what to include in an online portfolio.
- If you have a summer or fall internship, I need all paperwork by certain dates to get you enrolled for credit. Read the attachment above titled SUMMER/FALL INTERNSHIP, and make sure you meet the deadlines.
- If you are a graduating student and you have a job offer/fellowship/paid internship, please let me know! We want to brag on you!
- The Internship Office is open most of the summer, but I will be out of the office for two stretches: May 24 – June 1 and July 4 -14. I will have little to no email availability during those breaks. Thus, as I’m always saying: Plan ahead and see me before I’m gone. Those of you in summer internships will receive instructions on deadlines for internship work long before May 24 so there will be no reason to panic that I’m out of touch.
Finally, make sure you scroll to the tips section at the end of this listserv for some interesting articles and helpful hints. Thanks!
· ONE MORE DAY FOR THIS – APPLY!!!! AAJA VOICES internship. PAID – all expenses.
Deadline: March 31. Application here. Open to all students of all ethnicities and backgrounds. This is a killer opportunity! Apply!
· AllSportsTucson (UNPAID) and Tail Winds Magazine (PAID) are looking for fall interns here in Tucson. If you’ve taken JOUR 205, you qualify for this! Contact Steve Rivera @ email@example.com with a resume and email of interest and he’ll set up a time to meet with you.
NEW JOB OPENING FOR MAY SPORTS REPORTERS
The Montrose Daily Press and its online companion -- www.montrosepress.com -- has an opening for sports reporterand they are looking at May graduates! The successful applicant will cover the primary news beat of Montrose, Olathe, Delta and the surrounding area. Photography and pagination skills regarded as a plus. Recent college graduates are encouraged to apply. The Montrose Daily Press is a seven-day morning daily newspaper. It is a division of Wick Communications, a family-owned multi-media company, now in its third generation, with operations in community markets in 11 states. In recent years, the Daily Press has been cited by the Colorado Press Association and by the Colorado Associated Press for general excellence and editorial excellence; photography and design, news coverage and online coverage.
The Daily Press is a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment with a commitment to community journalism. The Daily Press offers health and dental care benefits, paid vacation, a 401K retirement plan and other benefits. Montrose, Colorado is situated within minutes of a national park, national forest, and four major ski areas including Telluride Colorado. This location offers an abundance of outdoor recreation opportunities in a growing market. Send your resume and a PDF of your clips, to: Matt Lindberg, Managing Editor at firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit our web site at and visit our parent company’s web site at www.wickcommunications.com.
PRIOR LISTINGS STILL TAKING APPLICATIONS
KYMA –TV/YUMA seeking anchors and reporters. PAID
Deadline: ASAP Fulltime job for May broadcast grads. News director Ernesto Romero is looking for some anchors and reporters in Yuma, Arizona. If interested, please email your résumé and a link to your reel, along with writing samples if you have them, to Ernesto Romero at email@example.com, explaining that you heard through the UA School of Journalism that he had openings.
Deadline: March 31. Every single one of our female sports photographers should be applying for this.
Deadline: March 31. Details at the link above. (Note: Discovery also has a paid production internship listed here.)
Deadline: March 31. See all details and apply through link above.
Deadline: March 31. Sinclair Broadcast Diversity Scholarship is available for the U.S. college sophomore or junior who are attending an accredited four-year undergraduate college or university and studying in the areas of broadcasting, journalism, or marketing. Apply and see details at link above.
KCRW Santa Barbara: News Intern UNPAID
DEADLINE: March 31. If you’re interested in becoming a weekly KCRW Santa Barbara news intern, send a blank email to firstname.lastname@example.org for an application.
Starnes Publishing PAID and UNPAID
Deadline: March 31 for summer 2017. Starnes produces monthly community newspapers in the metro Birmingham (AL) area. Seeking editorial, design and digital interns with a variety of skills and a passion for hyperlocal community journalism. Interns will have the opportunity to work closely with our small staff in ways that impact the production process. For more information about our publications, visit starnespublishing.com and find on Facebook. To apply, email the following items to email@example.com: A cover letter outlining your reasons for wanting the internship, your availability, your experience and qualifications and the area(s) in which you desire to work; a current résumé; three writing or design samples. If you have photography or videography work samples, please include.
NBC News Associates Program PAID – for MAY grads!
Deadline: March 31 but apply here early! The News Associates Program is a one-year long staff position designed to give participants real-world news experience. Aspiring journalists with diverse backgrounds hone research skills, work on developing news stories in a working news bureau, and participate in field and studio production on a variety of news programs.
Gatehouse Media Internship UNPAID
Deadline: April 1. The largest local media company in Eastern Massachusetts with a network of more than 100 websites and local newspapers and several newsroom locations, we have nearby opportunities for interns who are looking to gain real-world experience and mentoring. Interns work with a team of journalists to gather news, conduct interviews, write articles, take photographs, shoot video and contribute to social media. Interns can expect to have their work published in print and online on a regular basis.
AZPM TV interns for the AZPM News Break for FALL semester.
Deadline: April 1, but the early bird gets the worm with this one. Interested? Email a résumé, and letter of interest to Michael Chihak, News Director AZPM | Arizona Public Media and ask to set up a screen test. Also seeking one radio intern. Email: MChihak@azpm.org
KOLD/KMSB-TV NEWS PHOTOJOURNALIST. FT Job for May Grads
Deadline: ASAP. Seeking a technically strong journalist who can embrace live, local, late breaking events on-air and on all digital platforms. Familiarity with JVC HM650 cameras is a plus. Must be flexible with schedules. Let's see your work! Qualified applicants, please apply online here, and attach your resume and link to your work. No phone calls please.
KTVT- Fort Worth Internship PAID (TX min wage)
Deadline: April 1. News and sports interns. See link above for details and to apply
Deadline: April 1. Working in the news department, interns will be exposed to how a newsroom decides, gathers and executes news coverage both over the air and online. Various areas of focus are available: assignment editing, web producing, and news producing, among others.
Deadline: April 1. Journalism students and recent graduates can apply for an internship with Chicago Magazine in Chicago. In addition to pitching and writing stories for the magazine, interns will offer assistance with fact-checking and research. The internship pays minimum wage, and interns work four days a week. Click here for more information.
Deadline: April 3. For May graduates only. Six month placement. This is an independent national newspaper covering the Catholic Church. To apply, send a cover letter, a resumé and three writing samples to Stephanie Yeagle, managing editor, at firstname.lastname@example.org. In the cover letter, explain how you learned of this opportunity and why you think you would be a good fit for NCR. Make sure you familiarize yourself with the paper before applying.
Deadline: April 4. Details at link above.
WATE6 TV Summer Internship (Knoxville TN) UNPAID
Deadline: April 15. See link for application instructions.
AAJA INTERNSHIPS AND GRANTS – April deadlines
Please note: For all the listings in the group below, you must be a 2017 AAJA (Asian American Journalists Association) member, but you do not need to be Asian American to apply. See Celina in the front office for how to join AAJA.
- Stanford Chen Internship Grant $1,750 for summer internship expenses.
- Deadline: Sunday, April 2. Preference given to students who have received internships at small or medium publications. Details at link above.
- CIC/Anna Chennault Scholarship: $5,000 grant
- Deadline: Sunday, April 16. In addition to the $5,000 for school, the winner gets and travel, lodging and registration to summer AAJA conference. Details at the link above
- Deadline: Sunday, April 16. Details at link above.
- Deadline: Sunday, April 16. See all details at link above.
- Deadline: Sunday, April 16. Details at link above.
- Deadline: Sunday, April 16. Details at link above
- Mary Quon Moy Ing Memorial Scholarship $2,000 for school expenses
- Vincent Chin Memorial Scholarship $500 for the best essay submitted.
- Broadcast News Internship Grants $1,000 to go toward summer internship expenses.
- Print and Online News Internship Grant $1,000 to go toward summer internship expenses
Deadline: Not listed. Seeking students wanting a future career in television and/or radio broadcasting. This program is designed for students who want to learn the ABCs of how a news station works; from creative and community services, to ultimately getting the news product on the air. We are seeking the next generation of “news gatherers.” We are looking for out-of-the-box ideas, web-based as well as over the air broadcasting techniques. Students with on-line savvy; who want to write, report, produce, and have a passion for multi-platform news. See details and apply through link above.
Every August, KCRW hosts the 24-Hour Radio Race: a whirlwind day of high-stakes radio making, open to all members of the broadcast community. We receive entries from radio newbies and seasoned professionals alike from all over the world. Entrants can produce solo or in teams and will have 24 HOURS to write, record, and edit a nonfiction radio story. Winners will have their pieces broadcast on KCRW’s “UnFictional” documentary program and be paid a licensing fee of $1,000. In addition winners will also receive one-year subscriptions to PRX (the Public Radio Exchange) and AIR (the Association for Independents in Radio).Additional prizes will be awarded for special achievements like the “Social Butterfly Award” and the “UnFictional Award”. This year’s Radio Race will take place on Saturday, August 19, 2017. To get on the listserv to be notified directly of all the rules and, email@example.com and ask to be put on her notification list. Here’s a story by a woman won one the race in the past years, and more information on prior Races can be viewed at link above.
Deadline: Not listed, assume ASAP. Seeking editorial assistant intern will support and join a passionate editorial team in a start-up environment. cinemathread is a film-focused, culture-centric print and digital publication covering the intersection of film, art, design, music, and lifestyle. The ideal candidate has a knack for identifying interesting stories, a passion for the written word, and a love of film and culture. Application requirements and info at link above.
Girls on the Run Documentary Film Intern UNPAID (Chicago)
Girls on the Run-Chicago (GOTRC) is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization whose mission is to inspire girls to be joyful, healthy and confident using a fun, experience-based curriculum which creatively integrates running. The Communications/Documentary Film Intern will assist the department in the development, production and editing functions of creating its annual documentary film project. Working with the GOTRC Communications Director and the Communications Coordinator, the intern will also assist with implementation of monthly social media strategy including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and will provide 5k staff support (three Saturdays in May and June). Details at link above.
Deadline: Monday, May 1. The 10-month internship is based in the hockey operations department at USA Hockey’s National Team Development Program in Plymouth, Michigan, and runs from August through June 2018. For MAY GRADUATES interested in hockey operations as a career. Details at the link above.
The Knot Summer 2017 Social Media Internship PAID New York
See all details and apply at link above.
Deadline: May 16 for a June 5 start date (!) I encourage you to apply by March. All details at link above.
Chronicle of Higher Education Fall Internship PAID
Deadline: June 5, 2017. Full details at link above. Basic details: Send your application (in a single PDF) firstname.lastname@example.org by noon, EST, on Monday, June 5, 2017.
INTERNSHIPS WITH UNLISTED OR ROLLING DEADLINES
Deadline: Rolling. See details in hyperlink above.
Deadline: Rolling. Must live in NY during internship. Editorial and communications interns will be involved in all aspects of the online editorial process, as well as help to maintain PEN’s blog, website, online databases, and presence across various social media platforms. PEN’s internships offer a unique opportunity to learn more about both the publishing industry and human rights advocacy world. See link above for application instructions.
Turner Broadcasting PAID
Deadline: Rolling. See link above. Have to go to this website and click on each internship for details. Make sure you check the link above weekly for updates, especially if you are a December or May grad looking for broadcast work.
FOX News Internships – SOME PAID
Deadline: Rolling, based on semester you want to work. Go to link above for details and to search.
NOTE: FOX also has a beginning “shadowing” internship that you can read about here:
Deadline: Rolling, based on semester you want to work. Right now they have spring internships listed, but summer should be listed by mid-November. Keep checking the link. It is a hunt to find how to apply, but there are contacts to ask questions.
Do you want to work in entertainment? You should join the job board at EntertainmentCareers.net.
Suggestions for landing dream internship from a college student here.
Want to know what to do while waiting to hear back on jobs you’ve applied for? Do these things so you can decrease your stress and increase your chances of being employable.
Want to know the best college internships according to various outlets? Go here and check it out.
Looking for something outside of journalism? Here is a new site with jobs that need your journalism skills!
Want to be a science writer? NASA Internship Tips by Emmalee Mauldin
NASA conducts so much research that the public wants to know about, so they require science journalists to report on their latest scientific findings. Through the "OSSI" NASA website, you can create a profile and select which internships you would like to apply for. I found the website by Googling "NASA Internships."
- Part of the application are two letters of recommendation that the WRITER has to submit (you cannot upload them yourself).
- All writing/journalism positions are under the "Business" category.
- Under that category you must select "Public Affairs" or "Communications." You can explain that you're a science journalist during the interview.
Once the profile is created, prospective interns can search for internships that relate to your field and submit an additional paragraph explaining why the internship will benefit you. Once the deadline for applications passes and you are a valid candidate, you will receive calls from various Space Centers.
- Choose who will write your Letter of Rec's wisely; they have to be willing to log into the OSSI gov't website
- Apply to as many internships that you think will apply to you and FILL OUT the description paragraph (I applied to anything that stated "communications," "social media," "writing," etc.)
- Don't limit yourself to specific locations or Space Centers
- ALWAYS answer your phone when the application deadline has passed even if you don’t recognize the number. It could be NASA calling.
- Do research on current NASA projects to talk about prior to interviews
Renée Schafer Horton, Coordinator
Internship and Career Development
School of Journalism, University of Arizona
Louise Foucar Marshall Bldg., Room 323A
Tucson, AZ 85721-0158
HOURS: Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
To make appointments, visit https://wiseadvising.arizona.edu/student and follow the prompts.