About Maggy Zanger
Teaching and research focuses on international journalism, the Middle East and Islamic world, US-Mexico Border; media coverage of conflict and humanitarian crises; Iraq, Egypt, Kurdistan; media development; and community journalism. Am affialited faculty and serve on the Governing Board of the UA Center for Middle Eastern Studies.
- • B.A., M.A., University of Arizona;
- • M.S.L. (Master of Studies in Law), Yale Law School
Courses Taught at the UA
- Jour 150C1 News in a Digital Age
- Jour 109 Introduction to Jouranlism
- J 205 Reporting the News
- J 320A Editing
- J 402/502 Media and Terrorism
- J 412F/512 Magazine Writing and Development
- J 426/526 Reporting the Middle East
- J 411 Feature Writing
- J/MENAS 458/558 International Opinion Writing
- J 490B Community Journalism: El Independiente
- J 496D/596D Journalism Seminar - Issues in Covering the Environment
- J 496D/596D Journalism Seminar - International Reporting
- Jour/MENAS 496F/596F Media Coverage of International Crises
Publications and Research
- Relly, J.E., Zanger, M., & Fahmy, S. (2015). Democratic norms and forces of gatekeeping: A study of influences on Iraqi journalists’ attitudes toward government information access. Journalism & Mass Communication Quarterly, 92(2), 346-373.
- Relly, J.E., Zanger, M., & Fahmy, S. (2015). News media landscape in a fragile state: Professional ethics perceptions in a post-Ba'athist Iraq. Mass Communication and Society, 18(4), 471-497.
- Relly, J.E., Zanger, M., & Fahmy, S. (2015). Professional role perceptions among Iraqi Kurdish journalists from a 'state within a state.' Journalism: Theory, Practice and Criticism, 16(8), 1085-1106.
- Op-ed. “Higher purpose found in fighting distant war,” Arizona Daily Star, August 2015.
- Op-ed. “Americans must open arms to Syrian refugees,” Tucson Sentinel.com, September 9, 2015.
- Op-ed. "A Concise Guide to What's Happening in Iraq," Arizona Daily Star, June 20, 2014.
Past Academic Positions
- Lecturer, American University in Cairo, 1999 – 2003
- Adjunct lecturer, University of Arizona, 1987 – 1992
Past Professional Positions
- Iraq Country Director, Institute for War & Peace Reporting, Baghdad, 2003 – 2005
- Publications Coordinator, Center for Contemporary Arab Studies, Georgetown University, 1995 –1999
- Assistant Editor, Middle East Report, Washington, DC, 1992 – 1999
- Middle East Studies Association
- Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication
- Investigative Reporters and Editors
- National Association of Hispanic Journalists
Awards & Honors
- Excellence in Global Service Award by UA Global Initiatives and the UA Center for English as a Second Language, for efforts “to internationalize the UA experience through border reporting curriculum and development of dual master programs and study abroad programs in the School of Journalism.” 2015.
- Hugh and Jan Harelson Excellence in Teaching Award, 2007
- Knight Journalism Fellow, Yale Law School, 1988 - 1989
International journalism; media, conflict and humanitarian crises; Iraq and Kurdistan; media development, community journalism