All the required information and documents can be submitted through the online application process. See the Graduate College's application procedures for details.
All candidates for the journalism master's degree and dual degrees
In addition to personal information, here is a brief outline of what you need to include to complete the application:
- A statement of purpose.
- A résumé or curriculum vitae.
- Transcripts from all colleges and universities previously attended. Minimum GPA for last 60 hours of undergraduate work is 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Two or three writing samples.
- Three letters of recommendation.
- Optional: GRE scores are not required but you may submit them. Send results to school 4832.
- Success in the School of Journalism demands a high degree of proficiency in both spoken and written English. International students whose native language is not English need to provide high scores on the TOEFL or IELTS exams. Minimum required TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) scores are 600 (paper-based), 100 (Internet-based) and 250 (computer-based). The minimum required IELTS (International English Language Testing System) composite score is 7 (no subject area below a 6).
- In addition, international students may be interviewed by phone by a faculty member to ensure that they have the necessary English skills to succeed in this highly competitive, communication-driven field.
- As an alternative to the TOEFL, candidates can elect conditional acceptance. That means they would precede their journalism classes by enrolling in the College for English as a Second Language for as long as it takes to meet an acceptable level of English proficiency.
- International students requiring a student visa also need to provide a completed Financial Guarantee Form. Check this link for more information on the Proof of Financial Resources.
- For additional information about admission requirements, international students should visit this link.
- Candidates for any dual-degree program must apply to, and be accepted by, both units. Note that you must complete an application form and pay an application fee for each unit. Application deadlines for dual-degree partners may vary from ours.
- You also need to familiarize yourself with the conditions and regulations of the Graduate College. See the university’s Graduate College website for complete details on the admissions process and academic policies.
For your best chances of being accepted for the fall semester, your completed application needs to be in our hands by Feb. 15. Limited Journalism School and Graduate College financial aid funds will be distributed among accepted students beginning about March 1 and for as long as resources are available. Good candidates will continue to be accepted after Feb. 15 if we still have openings in the class.
The application deadline for the Fall semester is Feb. 15 of that same year. The application deadline for the Spring semester is Aug. 1 for international students or Sept. 1 for domestic students of the year leading up to the start of the program.
For more information on application and administrative questions:
For advising and curriculum questions:
You are welcome to visit us: