Student Grievance Resolution Process

The University of Arizona School of Journalism is committed to helping resolve student complaints in an equitable and timely manner.

Students should first speak with the student’s faculty member concerning a grievance. If an issue cannot be resolved, a student may contact the school director for information on how to proceed. Typically the director will meet with the student to hear the complaint and then may gather information from the professor and others and seek to resolve the matter. If a student’s parents also want to talk to the professor or director then the student must provide written permission.

If the issue is not resolved to the satisfaction of the student then the student may seek assistance outside the school, including by contacting the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences office of the dean.

If the issue concerns a course grade, refer to the grade appeal policy in the University catalog. For matters involving allegations of academic integrity, refer to the policies can be found Dean of Student's policies.

For concerns not met by the above policies, students may also contact the Dean of Students office directly for further information on how to proceed.  Graduate students should refer to the Graduate College Grievance Policy.

In addition to the aforementioned resolution processes, the University of Arizona maintains links to a variety of consumer information and contacts. Another valuable resource unique to the University of Arizona is the University Ombuds Program, which provides a neutral, informal, confidential and independent resource for any academic or workplace concern.

If an issue submitted to the University of Arizona by a student is unresolved and involves a complaint arising under State laws, an Arizona Board of Regents policy or any other matter, the student may contact the Arizona Board of Regents (in accordance with 75 Fed. Reg. 66865-66, Oct. 29, 2010), by visiting the ABOR web site or by submitting a request directly. Students may also call the ABOR office at 602-229-2500.

The Arizona SARA Council has jurisdiction over Arizona SARA-approved institutions, including The University of Arizona, in relation to non-instructional complaints. Instructional complaints, such as grade grievances, are not reviewed by the Council and should not be submitted for review. Prior to registering a non-instructional complaint with the Arizona SARA Council, the student/complainant must complete The University of Arizona’s and the Arizona Board of Regent’s complaint processes, as listed above.  Non-instructional complaints may be submitted to SARA. Students also have the right to contact state authorization or accrediting agency contacts for specific issues.

Note: These procedures, primarily from University of Arizona Online, were adopted by school faculty on Jan. 11, 2017.