Until further notice, the University of Arizona, in accordance with the guidelines recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, encourages all employees to work remotely. Our offices are closed to the public, but you can reach the School of Journalism Monday–Friday 9am-5pm:
- Andrés Domínguez (520-621-7556; firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Carol Schwalbe (520-300-0693; email@example.com)
- David Cuillier (520-621-6223; firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Paloma Boykin (520-314-3918; email@example.com)
Fall 2020 Internship Fair
Due to COVID and the upcoming US elections, what was once an in-person Internship Fair on a single day has turned into a weekly series of remote interviews.
Please note that some recruiters we've had in the past could not commit to interviews during this time period, but I am working with them to find future dates when they can conduct remote interviews. Stay tuned for future opportunities.
Some preliminary notes:
- If you are a junior or a senior who is in JOUR 306 or have completed JOUR 306, you should be interviewing with pretty much everyone!
- If you are a sophomore who has completed JOUR 205 or are currently enrolled in JOUR 205 and/or have a year at the Wildcat or a community college paper, you should be applying with: Tucson Local Media, Madden and Perimeter Cycling.
- If you’ve completed JOUR 280 or have at least a year at UATV (broadcast writing), you should interview with KVOA.
Please start signing up today! Slots will go fast! The link is: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xxLl6o-6ZEqgt5EvIXnbhaDIMkdWMhGYTsnXucQOQVo/edit?usp=sharing
Follow the instructions below. As slots fill up, I will be emailing those who sign up with how the interviews will be conducted.
- When signing up, please add your name in the box that says "Name:" under the time slot you wish to interview, like this: under the 11:00-11:30 a.m., in the cell that has "Name": Name: JANE DOE.
- Do not erase any other student's name.
- Write down your interview times in case you can't access the worksheet the day of your interview slot.
- Once you have signed up, I will be in touch with further instructions on how to connect with the recruiter. Most interviews will be conducted via Zoom meetings.
- For the ones that require it, you must send your resume, writing samples, links to online work and/or cover letters to the recruiters via the email listed or the website listed (for example at the Sentinel) on the sign up document at least 24 hours prior to your interview.
- Have a copy of your resume, a cover letter and work samples or links available on the day of your interview ready to share digitally if the recruiter requests.
- Dress professionally. Google “professional dress” if you don’t know what it means.
- Please note the time and length of your selected interview and plan accordingly.
IF YOU CANNOT ACCESS THE GOOGLE SHEET IN THE LINK, email Ethan at firstname.lastname@example.org, with the organization you'd like to interview with. He will follow up with you on days/times that might work. The organizations participating are:
• Essence of Beauty
• Arizona Republic
• Madden Media
• Sierra Vista Herald
• Tucson Local Media (Tucson Weekly/Explorer/Marana News/Inside Tucson Business)
• Perimeter Cycling/All Sports Tucson ROOM 336
• Arizona Daily Star Apprenticeship
• Arizona Jewish Post
As the sign-up sheet indicates, for those interested in internships at The Arizona Daily Star and the Arizona Jewish Post internships, PLEASE email me at email@example.com.
If you have any questions at all, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get your resumes, cover letters and work samples ready to share! Internships are an amazing way to get your feet in the door at these tremendous news organizations and it is not always easy to get interviews through the standard application process, so please take advantage of this amazing opportunity!!
Interim Internship Coordinator
School of Journalism
University of Arizona