The School of Journalism provides more than $60,000 a year in student aid through scholarships, travel grants, and fellowships.
- Scholarships. Most scholarships are awarded in the spring. Only journalism majors who have completed at least two journalism courses are eligible. Students apply for scholarship in March for funds that are available beginning the following fall semester. Click here for a list of scholarships.
- Travel aid. The Carpenter Student Travel Scholarship helps UA undergraduate and graduate journalism students travel to expand their knowledge of the world and skills in journalism. Scholarships can be used to help you attend conferences, practice journalism internationally, or participate in other journalism education activities. Scholarships average about $500. Recipients are expected to share what they learn with other students before receiving the scholarships. Click here for a travel scholarship application.
- Zenger Fellowship (grad students). Awarded to an incoming master’s student in recognition of academic achievement and potential. The fellowship covers the student’s in-state tuition, mandatory fees and program fees up to 12 units per semester for the first academic year. Go here for more info.
- Jane Swicegood Student Exploration Grant: Any full-time undergraduate or graduate student majoring in journalism can apply for $1,000 in funding to help broaden the scope of their professional portfolios. Examples of projects include, but are not limited to, investigative reports, longform narratives, podcasts, photo projects, documentaries or anything else that gets students into the field and engaged in the community or beyond.The funding can be applied to equipment, travel, research and so forth. Winners must register for at least one (1) unit of independent study or take a class with a journalism professor during the semester(s) the award is made. The deadline for applying is Friday, Dec. 20, 2019. Apply here.
- College aid. The College of Social and Behavioral Sciences also has several scholarships available for which journalism students are eligible. View them here.
- Financial aid. In addition, the UA Office of Student Financial Aid has a number of resources of interest to students such as eligibility requirements, application tips, loan counseling, tax information, and related deadlines for various financial aid applications.