About the Internship
The PLCA is now accepting applications for the 2020 summer internship program. The internship program, sponsored by the Pennsylvania Legislative Correspondents’ Association, offers two college students the opportunity to work in the newsroom at the state Capitol in Harrisburg, Pa.
The 12-week program for two interns consists of rotations at the following media companies: ABC27, The Allentown Morning Call, Capitolwire.com, The Caucus/LNP Media Group, Pennlive/Patriot-News, and The Philadelphia Inquirer and Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Starting in mid-May and ending in late July/early August, interns typically spend two weeks at each organization.
Some of the responsibilities and abilities expected for an intern:
- Assist reporters covering the state budget and report on committee hearings and other political and policy stories in a fast-paced news environment
- Pitch their own ideas as well as take assignments on a variety of subjects that arise in the executive, legislative and judicial branches of government
- Able to shoot videos and photos with their phones or other equipment
- Able to take direction and have the drive to write quickly for the web on breaking news and turn around longer enterprise pieces
Requirements & Compensations
- Applicants should be college juniors or seniors or graduate students with news writing experience and a basic understanding of a democracy's three branches of government.
- Start dates are flexible, but interns are expected to complete the full 12-week program, working five days a week except for Memorial Day and July 4. Occasional evening or weekend work may be necessary, especially in late June when the legislature and governor finalize the next fiscal year's budget.
- Preference is given to students who plan to pursue a career in journalism covering politics and government, though former interns have gone on to cover a wide array of beats at news organizations around the country.
- PLCA is not responsible for credit agreements between students and their respective universities.
- Pay is $575 per week. Interns are expected to provide their own laptops and cell phones.
How to Apply
The deadline to apply for the 2020 summer internship is Feb. 1, 2020.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume and five writing samples in one Word or PDF file to Sam Janesch at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications will be reviewed and finalists will be interviewed in February or early March. You will be contacted only if you made the cut.
For More Information
Contact Sam Janesch, Internship Coordinator, at email@example.com.